- Zucchini - approx. 4 medium
- Butter/Oil - 2 Tablespoons, to saute the veggies
- Onion - one small white onion
- Mushrooms - about 6-8 oz.
- Basil - handful of fresh Sweet basil leaves
- Tomato - 3 medium roma tomatoes
- Cheese: two handfuls of shredded mozzarella
- Salt & Pepper
Layer 1 - Zucchini & Onions:
- Wash the zucchini.
- Use a vegtable peeler to remove the peels from the zucchini. You can be sloppy with this, as the skin is tasty and healthy but generally removed for softer texture.
- Cut the zucchini into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut the onion.
- Add the butter/oil to a large frying pan on medium heat.
- When it is melted, add the zucchini and onions - careful not to splatter the butter/oil.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Saute the veggies.
- When they become soft, remove from heat and pour into an ungreased 8x12 cooking pan.
- Spread this layer out evenly.
- Very gently wash the mushrooms, tomatoes and basil.
- Slice the mushrooms, add to pan, spread out evenly.
- Cut the tomato into bite-sized pieces, add to pan, spread out evenly.
- Mince the basil and spread it over the veggies.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Add one handful of mozzarella cheese.
Cook for about 30-minutes.
Remove from oven.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Allow to stand for 10-minutes as it will be very warm.