Tuesday, April 21, 2009

27 Weeks - Why I Love Being Pregnant and Kidney Stone Story

Overall Mood: I always thought women were lying when they said they loved being pregnant because I've heard such awful stories & my Mum was miserable throughout both of her pregnancies.... but I lalalove it. My mood and spirits are elevated... like I've finally found what I've been looking for in life. I have a bright future immediately in front of me, filled with uncertainty and endless possibilities for which to dream. I can feel him moving throughout the day... so its like a little nudge of love and warm hello. People look at me with fuzzy eyes, remembering when they, (or someone they loved), were in this position- or perhaps excited for their chance to be in our shoes... and people, (including wonderful Kyle) treat me even more like a princess.

Body Changes:
Well, at the risk of sharing too much info - here is the break down on what's happening to me this week.

On Sunday evening, I became concerned about discolored urine that was unusual for me.
I was concerned it was a result of walking more over the weekend and worried about Ace and my placenta and all those other things one can imagine to worry about.

However, I have a history of kidney problems, including recurring UTIs and kidney stones, so when I began having flank pain on the right side of my body, I knew to start drinking tons of water and see my doctor as soon as possible to either start antibiotics for infection or figure out what to do about the stone I knew was in my kidney from my last CT scan and could tell was causing the problem.  

I went to see my fabulous Ob/Gyn Doctor first thing Monday morning and received an Ultrasound of my kidneys and a quick check on Ace. The very sweet Ultrasound technician confirmed the kidney was indeed blocked, possibly by a stone, and assured me that Ace was unharmed.  This was GREAT news... I've handled this situation before and was relieved Ace was healthy. 

Again, at the risk of sharing too much info... my urologist has me straining my urine, in hopes of catching the stone for in-depth analysis to provide info that may help decrease the frequency and severity of future stones. Hopefully, this will be effective - although there's still hope that this is only a kidney infection and can be treated by antibiotics. Only time will tell!

I'm feeling ok and experiencing less intense pain, as long as I stay off my feet. It reminds me to be grateful that I am able to stay home and rest. What a scary experience to see the blood and not know about the health of the baby!

Emotions: I'm feeling a bit awkard about the random flow of this entry... but such is life, I guess. If you don't like it, quite reading. If so do, rock on. 

Flavors:
After walking in the park, I got a random craving for wood-cooked hot dogs. We were unable to locate somewhere that served them, so we'll hold on to that for another trip to the park, when we can plan ahead and bring some!

Appreciation:
I'm grateful for everyone this week. Kyle for being so helpful and supportive, my Doctor for being awesome and squeezing me in on a busy Monday morning, the women at the Doc's office for being sweet and sincere, everyone.

Baby Steps: For the first time, I felt him flip around in my tummy! It was neat.

Ace Update: (almost verbatim from BabyCenter.com) Ace weighs almost 2 pounds, like a head of cauliflower, and is about 14 1/2 inches long with his legs extended. He's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing his eyes and perhaps even sucking his fingers. With more brain tissue developing, Ace's brain is very active now. While his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if he were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements I may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and they don't bother him - so I just relax and enjoy the tickle!

No comments:

Post a Comment