Thursday, June 18, 2009

35 Weeks - Fundal Height

Overall Mood: We're seeing the doctor weekly now! 

Body Changes:  During the 3rd trimester, the doctor routinely measures the size of my "bump", which is called the fundal height.  The measurement is recorded in centimeters and generally matches the number of weeks - so when I was 33 weeks, my tummy was about 33 cm - and this was good.   

At our 35-week appointment, the fundal height measured 33.5 cm, which is smaller than average and hadn't grown since the week before, so we had an ultrasound to check on the little man and make sure he was growing at normal rate. Our doctor's ultrasound technician was out sick, so we went to another doctor for ultrasound... which was a funny little adventure.  Our doctor warned us that while she was one of the best at what she does, she isn't a very "social" person.  After the ultrasound technician explored my tummy and took pictures, the doctor entered the room and said, "You baby is not small. It's a boy." 

We were relieved the hear that he is developing at a normal rate! He weighs about 5.7 lbs and should gain 0.5 lb per week until I deliver! Although the ultrasound image on their machine wasn't as clear, it was neat to see the little guy! He moves as soon as Kyle talks - its really cute. he's going to be a daddy's boy. This makes me happy. =) 

Emotions:  I can't believe how close we are! 

Flavors:  I am getting random spontaneous cravings, but none of the desires are strong enough to motivate me to leave the house. Some recent random cravings: watermelon, grilled cheese, chocolate frosting, bacon, salad, fruit smoothies.   I've been enjoying preparing dinner. This week, I made chicken with a salsa of fresh strawberries, pineapple plus mint... served with brown rice and veggies. It was yummy! 

Appreciation: Thank you to everyone that supported us at the baby shower... we received so many wonderful things to welcome this little man into the world. Giant thanks to my Mum for her hard work on making the amazing baby shower happen! It was perfect. =)  

Baby Steps:  Every afternoon, I look forward to when he gets a case of Baby Hiccups. The rhythmic bounces are charming and make me feel so connected to him. The doctor said his head is "down", meaning it is in position to deliver! 

Ace Update:  (almost verbatim from BabyCenter.com)   Ace doesn't have much room to maneuver now that he's over 18 inches long and tips the scales at 5 1/4 pounds (pick up a honeydew). Because it's so snug in my womb, he isn't likely to be doing somersaults anymore, but the number of times he kicks should remain about the same. His kidneys are fully developed now, and his liver can process some waste products. Most of his basic physical development is now complete — he'll spend the next few weeks putting on weight.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh...so close! I'm so excited for the both of you!!! As soon as I get back from MN I'm gonna have to make your place one of the first places go so I can see all 3 of you!!! The next time I see you...you won't be preggers and Ace will be here! I can't believe how quick it went!! Yay!!! :) Much Love! D

    ReplyDelete